Table of Contents
Aims of research
- early detection of cancer
- identification of tumour extent
- tumour prognosis
- support for therapy planning
- therapy monitoring and evalution of therapy success
- follow-up diagnostic imaging
- preventive diagnostic screening of high-risk patients with genetic disorders or risk factors
Besides improved tumor visualization the research of functional parameters (e. g. microcirculation or metabolism) plays an important role in the evaluation of individual cancers. These parameters will become more and more important in radiation therapy and therapy monitoring.
We collaborate with the basic sciences departments of the DKFZ for clinical and experimental research projects.
For these challenges we use modern cross-section techniques such as multi-sclice spiral computed tomography, magnetic resonance tomography, magnetic resonance spectroscopy, sonography and color-doppler sonography.
Technical improvements and innovations are invented together with the department of medical physics in radiology.
The clinical testing and evaluation is done together with the clincal cooperation units for radiation oncology and nuclear medicine as well as the hospitals of the tumorcenter Heidelberg/Mannheim.