1. Hauptnavigation
  2. Navigation des Hauptbereiches
  3. Inhalt der Seite

Welcome to the Helmholtz International Graduate School for Cancer Research

© dkfz.de

Welcome to the Helmholtz International Graduate School for Cancer Research at the German Cancer Research Center (Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum, DKFZ). Our international Ph.D. program warmly invites you to consider applying to join its many distinguished scientists in cancer research.

The DKFZ is Germany’s largest biomedical research institute and is a member of the Helmholtz Association of National Research Centers. More than 2,000 staff members, including 850 scientists, are engaged in researching the mechanisms of cancer and are working to identify risk factors. Their valuable work is the cornerstone for developing novel approaches in the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of cancer. The German Federal Ministry of Education and Research provides 90% of the Center’s basic funding; the remainder or 10% comes from the German state of Baden-Württemberg.


Graduate Program Office (M070)
German Cancer Research Center
69120 Heidelberg

Email: higs(at)dkfz.de

Phone: +49 6221 423426
Fax: +49 6221 422144

In Germany alone, cancer is the second most frequent cause of death. Each year, over 450,000 new cases are diagnosed and 270,000 deaths occur at the hands of this dreaded disease. Cancer constitutes a particularly challenging task for both research and clinical practice. It affects practically each and every organ in the human body. Each type of cancer has its own modus operandi and rules. The resultant changes in affected cells are highly complex.

In recent years, researchers at the DKFZ have been responsible for major advances both in basic research and in the development of novel methods for clinical application. These achievements received momentous recognition in 2008, when the Center’s Professor Harald zur Hausen was awarded the Nobel Prize for Medicine for his outstanding scientific contribution to the study of human papillomaviruses.

Perhaps you too would like to be part of this renowned organization, which is at the cutting edge of cancer research worldwide, and to work amongst leading scientists from the field. This website hopes to give you a taste of what life is like in our international PhD program. If you would like to join our scientific community after reading this website, we are looking forward to receiving your application.

last update: 28/05/2015 back to top