17th Annual PhD retreat
Table of Contents
+++++Announcement: Retreat 2012 +++++++
We would like to announce the PhD-Retreat of 2012.
Like last years PhD-Retreat, there will be two consecutive retreats this year.
The first seminar will take place from Monday 25th to Wednesday 27th of June 2012,
the second one from Wednesday 27th to Friday 29th of June 2012.
Both will be hold at the "Landesakademie für Jugendbildung" in Weil der Stadt close to Stuttgart. Transportation and accommodation will be organized for you.
The meeting is thought to improve your scientific and personal contacts to other PhD students at the DKFZ. It will be similar to a small congress where you have to present your work either as a poster or as a short lecture. We will prepare an abstract book with the abstracts of all participants and hand it out to you at the beginning of the seminar. Therefore you should prepare a short abstract of your work. Please do not exceed one page.
There will be participants from all faculties and disciplines, so it is essential to present your work in basic terms and not to go too much into detail. Your presentation should be understood by every participant and should not exceed 20 minutes. The language of the whole seminar will be English.
Important: All people joining the PhD-program have to take part at least once at the "Weil der Stadt Seminar" during their PhD-time at DKFZ. So please register in time, so that you won´t get any problems, especially if you are finishing soon.
The registration period will last from April 2nd, 9 am till April 16th, 6 pm.
If there are more than 70 people register we have to set priority for accepting participants.
1. Student in the 3rd year
2. Student in the 2nd year
3. Student in the 1st year
4. Student who like to join the retreat for a second time. “First come, first serve” is true for this point ;)
Announcement of participants will occur a week later
YOUR REGISTRATION IS OBLIGATORY. PLEASE MAKE SURE TO UPLOAD YOUR ABSTRACT IN TIME OTHERWISE PLACES WILL BE GIVEN TO OTHER CANDIDATES!!
Abstract uploading: 2nd of April, 9 am, till 27th of April, 6 pm. (STRICT!!!)
The language of the whole seminar will be English and as well for the abstract.
The combined length of the abstract title, list of authors, and body should not exceed one DIN A4 Page (around 400-425 words).
The abstract consist of…
• Abstract title
• First Author
• Author names
• Author affiliations
• Abstract body
The retreat is sponsored by the DKFZ so there are only minor costs for each person. Only some costs for drinks and the party could be necessary to pay on your own. Further information will be provided as soon as available. An obligatory meeting will take place within the first part of June (exact date, place and time will be announced some days before the meeting).
+++ General Information +++
Location: Landesakademie für Jugendbildung in Weil der Stadt
• double & triple (will be arranged in Weil der Stadt)
• Bedcovers are provided, please bring along your own towel
Seminar language is English
• 20 min. & 5 min. discussion in Powerpoint (Bring along CD or USB-Stick)
• Mac users please make sure your presentation is compatible for PC
• 3-5 min. short presentation (including discussion)
• Size A0 in vertical format! (84cm wide × 119cm long), tape to fix the poster is provided
• Be sure to print in time, printer will be occupied with all your posters
- 25th & 27th of June:
• Bus leaves from DKFZ main building 9 am
• Team Building event
• Arrival in Weil der Stadt approx. 4 pm
- 27th & 29th of June:
• Check out, Closing events
• Arrival at DKFZ main building approx. 8 pm
Weil der Stadt Retreat Team
- Stephanie Hoppe
- Julia Jäger
- Anna Pryszlak
- Ann-Mareen Räthe
- Stefanie Thamm
- Hannah Uckelmann
- Joachim Weidmann
- Andrea Wendt
- Jonas Wolf
- Dharanija Madhavan (responsible Council member)